Friday 19 July 2013

Keeping cats cool in the heatwave

I'm not sure if I have ever mentioned this before but I have a pet cat. His name is Jester and I have had him since I was 3, this year he hit 19 years old and I know he will die one day and my life will crumble as I don't know life without his sweet tuna breath so I am doing everything in my power to keep him happy and healthy. 
This is hard when it is 32 degrees centigrade outside and we don't have aircon inside so how do I keep him comfortable I hear you ask.. and the answer is soaking him to the skin in the evenings. 
I am not joking, every night this week I have sat with him in the garden with the hose and soaked him to the bone, now I know a lot of cats would run and hide at the sound of water but he is so hot he just sits and purs whilst I rub the water into his fur. 
This just proves that elderly cats are struggling at the moment, he is also a little bit blind so he struggles to see water in a water bowl so we have filled up lots of pots and buckets around the garden so that he has a constant supply of water. 

I'm not sure why I wrote this post mainly I think to remind everyone that if we are hot, our pets with fur who are used to nothing hotter than 25 degrees centigrade are even hotter right now and we need to help out furry friends out. 
Jester mid wash

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme images by enjoynz. Powered by Blogger.